Intelligence Program Face Investigation
Congress will investigate a controversial intelligence-gathering program after officials within the National Security Agency said it may have overstepped its bounds in conducting electronic surveillance on Americans. According to a story first reported in the New York Times, officials with the Justice Department, along with NSA personnel, discovered the irregular activity during a regular review of the program.
DOJ staff discovered NSA had eavesdropped on domestic e-mails and telephone calls of Americans, though the surveillance is believed to have been done unintentionally. An example of the “overcollection” of information was the revelation that a member of Congress was spied on while overseas.
The problems, according to an NSA spokesman, are related to implementation of a new intelligence law passed last year. The FISA Amendments Act of 2008 set new guidelines for electronic surveillance within the United States. The bill had three main provisions:
It made the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (of 1978) the exclusive standard for authorizing electronic surveillance.
It required a court order for the surveillance of any American who became a target for electronic surveillance, regardless of whether the person is in the U.S.
It required the FISA Court, a secret court established to conduct FISA oversight, to approve the removal of any American’s name that is inadvertently captured during electronic surveillance.
Personnel with the NSA and Justice said the program has been revised to comply with the law; they delayed a renewal of the program until those corrective steps were taken.
No comments yet.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Learn how to protect the equity in your home. Contact Ice at TheIceBlog@gmail.com
- EU Leaders to Sidestep Lisbon Treaty Rule
- Wells Fargo Forecloses On Homeowner For Making Early Mortgage Payments
- The Growing Global Challenge to Monsanto's Monopolistic Greed
- Farms are great places to find pork. Apparently, so is the Farm Bill
- US Treasury secretary says he has begun tapping federal retiree pension fund to avoid default
Ice on The Myth of the “Multicu… Martin on Cannabis Oil Miracles USA PRESS STAFF on DHS Whistleblower Says Real Ta… Impumpelf on Unregistered Car & No Driv… Entedeeve on Unregistered Car & No Driv…
- National ID Card: They Won't Give Up On It wp.me/p5cFS-jz 20 hours ago
- The Myth of the "Multicultural" Society wp.me/p5cFS-jq 1 week ago
- Reid broke promise on gun bill wp.me/p5cFS-jn 1 week ago
- DHS Whistleblower Says Real Targets Are American Patriots wp.me/p5cFS-jl 2 weeks ago
- Cannabis Oil Miracles wp.me/p5cFS-ji 2 weeks ago